I love them. I've been listening to "The Secret" audio book lately, and thinking both about what it suggests/claims and about self-help books in general.
In some ways, I don't like them so much. They tend to use really annoying, perky woo hoo! language. Lots of them are written by people who seem to be a bit egomaniacal with constant anecdotes of their own little successes. It can be hard to swallow as much as a book usually suggests in one sitting and then to try to use it on a practical level? Forget it!
Still, I think that they have their place. If it sounds right, if it feels right, and it harm none, then why not?
We could all use a bit of improving into our daily lives.
So back up, I want to babble about "The Secret" for a moment. It features some of the practical changes and examples of how the law of attraction works. The movie and the book kind of read like one of those sidebar ads you accidentally click and they claim with just a pomegranate and some straw you'll lose 30 pounds.
I grew up with an ineffective, watered down version of the law of attraction. Basically an unbelieving mother going through the motions, who would spout the rhetoric but never act on it, utterly confusing and ultimately dissuading my punkass super logical twelve year old self to disregard it because Mommy sucks.
Somehow in between then and now, I grew up a little bit. And laugh, because sometimes, in my effort to put the LOA in to action I end up doing the exact same song-and-dance as she did.
Guess we gotta back up again. LOA is basically that you have in your life what you think about most. Of course, it both is and is not that simple. Language matters. If you say or think: I hate fat, I am not going to be fat, I can't eat that 'cause it'll make me fat, and you go staring at fat people and hating how fat they are - most likely you're going to be having a losing battle against fat. Whereas if you stare at skinny people, rejoice in skinniness, tell yourself that you can eat whatever you want and be skinny, that you have a fast metabolism, that you've always been skinny, you're more likely to be skinny with no problem.
It takes some creativity if you're raised like me - despite intellectually knowing of the law of attraction, I still saw my mother obsess about not having money, tell me we couldn't afford things, berate herself for being fat and calling me fat at the slightest weight gain (I was model thin at the time - 105-110 pounds on a 5'7" small frame), and my dad was a whole new level of negativity.
Yet, despite that, I also saw some miracles. And now, I finally am a little less confused after some serious reading, some serious thought and observation, and a lot of years of just living.
So I guess I feel like I am ready to really jump this whole law of attraction business into high gear.
I'm working on the first step: what I want. Its a little
Yet, I find things are already coming to me. I know I want money - I got a decent gig that'll pay my rent next month (it is easy to get hired somewhere), found some money on the ground right as my tank was empty (I always have enough gas to go where I want to go), found some money I thought I lost a few months ago (money is everywhere and coming to me), and found a full time job that pays better and has better hours (it is easy to get hired somewhere).
I always land on my feet and on top of the game - this is something I've often thought in my darkest hours and it always comes true, one way or another. So now I want to fine tune it.
I guess though, coming back to it, this particular self-help thing, "The Secret" and LOA, is just my bag, baby. It is what I have chosen to believe in and what works for me. I like the idea that everything you think causes everything around you. I like the idea that the mind is just that powerful. I like thinking that every good thing that happens is because I was responsible for it, and not just some fate or luck. I've always avoided the clover, the rabbit's foot and the only wish I make on a star I expect to come true.
Life is good.
Go read, listen to or watch "The Secret." I am attracting people to talk to about how it has worked in their lives, and you could be one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment